Monday, February 22, 2010

When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson

                                                When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3)


This the third mystery novel of Kate Atkinson’s that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. She draws you into the story very cleverly and I was quickly engrossed in the lives of the at first seemingly unrelated characters. Though of course having read her work before I knew that by a series of coincidences the mystery would gradually become clear and all link together seamlessly. Maybe rather a lot of coincidences to be completely believable but this is reading for pleasure and it is how Kate Atkinson’s novels work.
Once again the characters of Jackson Brodie and Louise Monroe appear as they have done in her previous two mystery novels. Although it does not matter if you have not read the first two, for me it was a pleasure to reconnect with these protagonists. I found every one of the characters appealing and it was intriguing as to how all the overlapping connections between them were eventually going to be resolved. She certainly kept me guessing and entertained right to the very end.
Thirty years ago a terrible crime was committed in Devon for which a man was convicted. The novel starts with this vignette that sets the scene for the mystery that follows when the man convicted of the crime is released from prison. Switching to Edinburgh thirty years on a mother and baby go missing,  but the only person who seems concerned at first is the child's Nanny, sixteen year old Reggie Chase, a character with an intriguing background.
If you are looking to loose yourself in a suspense mystery with great characters then this can be recommended.
In case you are interested I have included links to Bookcrossing entries for her previous two mystery novels
Case Histories http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/3147510
One Good Turn http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5880955
Kate Atkinson’s Website http://www.kateatkinson.co.uk/

3 comments:

  1. I've only read Case Histories, but really enjoyed it. I need to pick up more by her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one but have not read it yet - thansk for a good review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome ladies, thank you for dropping by and for commenting, it is much appreciated:)

    I look forward to hearing from you both again to let me know what you thought of When Will There Be Good News.

    ReplyDelete

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.