Monday, April 13, 2009

Life Swap by Jane Green

http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6372237

What a boring novel! I found this terribly dull and flat with page after page of repetitive descriptions of the life styles of the two shallow protagonists Amber and Vicky. Amber Winslow the American social climber, full time wife and mother and Vicky Townsley the single successful English girl leading a tough but hectic life as Features Director of a magazine. The theme of the novel is as the title implys a Life Swap between these two women neither of whom is satisfied with her life. The swap is therefore to see if it is true that in theory the grass is always greener and at the same time provide good magazine copy.
I know this is chick lit and I chose to read it as easy entertainment not expecting a great literary work, but I would have appreciated a story that either I can relate to in some way or has some excitement to offer.
This was not even entertaining so why did I bother? I suppose I just kept hoping it might improve, but it didn't, in fact the ending was as much of a let down as the rest of the book.
I have read three other titles by Jane Green of which I have no recollection at all, somehow I do not think I will be going out of my way to read any more of her novels. That is not saying that I cannot see the appeal they may have to others, just not for me. Too old maybe not the market the author is aiming to appeal to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.