Monday, March 5, 2012

Room by Emma Donoghue





  • Paperback: 401 pages
  • Genre:  Fiction
  • Publisher: Picador 2010
  • Source: Purchased in the UK.
  • First Sentences : ‘Today I’m five. I was four last night going to sleep in Wardrobe, but when I wake up in Bed in the dark I’m changed to five, abracadabra.’
  • Review Quote : ‘A triumph’ Daily Telegraph
  • My Opinion: This was as good if not better than I expected it to be.


  • This is a very moving and emotional novel that is going to stay with me for a long time. Imagine a five year old boy, Jack the protagonist of this shocking story, who believes that the 11 feet by 11 feet room that he and his mother live in is the entire world!  A harrowing thought indeed and Emma Donoghue has succeeded in writing a riveting novel that had me reading late into the night about this disturbing experience.
    Her imagination really takes you into the world of Room, where Jack was born and has lived his entire life with his mother. The bond between mother and son has been strong enough that they have survived five years, though you really wonder how as you get drawn into this dark story. They spend the days exercising, playing, reading, learning, watching television, eating and sleeping; somehow surviving this unimaginable life on the small Sunday treats their gaoler allows them! Although a strange life for Jack, because he knows no different it is normal, especially as he believes that nothing he sees on television is actually real.
    Room might be home to Jack but to his mother it has been a prison for seven years. As her son is growing up and becoming more curious about every aspect of their world, however limited it might be, she becomes more and more desperate about their situation. I am not going to reveal any more here for fear of spoiling it for any of you that may now be tempted to read this.


  • This link will take you to a very intriguing trailer for Room well worth viewing as is the following interview with Emma Donoghue. Beware these may or may not spoil your reading of the book, you are warned.




  • Uploaded by PanMacmillanAus on Mar 18, 2010

    Emma DonoghueEmma Donoghue

  • Emma was born on October 24th 1969 in Dublin Ireland, the youngest of eight children. She attended Catholic convent schools in Dublin, apart from one year in New York at the age of ten. In 1990 she earned a first-class honours BA in English and French from University College Dublin, and in 1997 a PhD (on the concept of friendship between men and women in eighteenth-century English fiction) from the University of Cambridge. Since the age of 23, Donoghue has earned her living as a full-time writer. After years of commuting between England, Ireland, and Canada, in 1998 she settled in London, Ontario, where she lives with her partner and their son and daughter.

  • Biographical information and photo used in this post are with thanks to the following websites.
     Emma Donoghue - Official Website.
    Goodreads Author Profile

  • 31 comments:

    1. This one of the memorable reads. I had read it last year and it was absolutely rivetting!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I also read it last year, bit behind with my reviews! It was very thought provoking, certainly one of the more memorable reads of 2011.

        Delete
    2. Oh, I loved this book! So exciting and moving.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi Linda,

      This is one of those books that everyone seems to have read, except me!

      I have seen nothing but praiseworthy reviews about it and I can't recall a negative comment.

      It is good to know that I am not the only one behind on my reviews, although I do start to write them and make notes, or I know I will have forgotten many of the salient points I wanted to make, by the time I actually get to post anything!

      Nice review and I shall get round to reading it for myself one day soon.

      Have a good week.

      Yvonne

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I thought I was one of the last to read it Yvonne! I kept putting it off I think maybe as I was unsure of the subject matter, but as you see from my review it was even better than I expected it to be.

        I did write the review awhile ago but somehow as it was while we were away it got forgotten, shame on me. I have nearly caught up now, but that means I need to get reading more again.

        Delete
    4. I loved this book! Maybe you saw it reviewed on my blog last month (or was it January) - a wonderful read, much better than I expected after all the hype!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes I did see your review and commented, it reminded me in fact that although I had written my review I had forgotten to publish!
        I also feared disappointment because of all the hype but I needn't have worried.

        Delete
    5. Thanks for sharing that video - it was really interesting to see what the author had to say! I actually got that book out of the library but couldn't bring myself to read it - it just seems like it would be so sad.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Susan I am glad you found the video of interest, I hope you will reconsider reading it sometime. It is sad of course but not in an unbearable way.

        Delete
    6. I thought this was a very good read indeed too.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for commenting Lindsay, yet to get a response from someone who has read but not liked it!

        Delete
    7. Great review! I loved this book, it was one of my favorite books that year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thankyou Charlotte, it is certainly one that I will remember.

        Delete
    8. Not going to disappoint you either, I loved this book when I read it last year. You're right in thinking this book will stay with you for a very long time.
      Excellent review.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks so much Maggie, your comments are appreciated.

        Delete
    9. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Sooo intriguing! I'd really like to read this one. What a neat story idea!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was a great idea and very well executed Elisabeth, i think you would find it very interesting.

        Delete
    11. I have heard so many wonderful things about this novel, but it sounds quite grim. I think I need to work up my nerve to enter!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Talli, I had to work up my nerve to enter 'Room' but it was well worth the effort. Do give it a go as I would like to know what you think.

        Delete
    12. Lindy 'Room'is one book which really disturbed me so much so that I could not muster the courage to review it. But I agree, it is a very well thought out and well executed story.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Vibha I am sorry you found it so disturbing, difficult to put your feelings into words in that case.

        Delete
    13. This book is still in my TBR pile... I must read it.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh you must Nikki-ann, it is well worth doing so.

        Delete
    14. This one blew me away. I didn't think I'd like it at all and then I couldn't put it down. I loved that it was told from a 5-year-old's point of view. His innocence made the dark material readable.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Melissa, how right you are it was his innocence and the fact that he was not scared of his surroundings because he knew no different that made it so much more bearable to read.

        Delete
    15. This has to be one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. She did an amazing job writing from the perspective of a little boy. It's hard enough writing from the perspective of a boy growing up in a normal environment! Loved the video. Thanks for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It was a very clever perspective to write what could have been a very disturbing book from. Thanks for calling by and leaving a comment Jessica, it is always interesting to hear what others think.

        Delete
    16. The story is told from the point of view of Jack, a 5 year old little boy who has never seen the world beyond that of the single room in which he and his mother live. His world consists of that room, his Ma, and the fantasy land inside the television. It's amazing how spot on the author was able to portray a curious, intelligent, and yet very socially handicapped young child. His voice was so plaintive, so real, that it makes the reader want to reach into the pages and hug him close.

      ReplyDelete
    17. Thankyou for your comment, despite the fact that it leads to a site on anti-ageing with it appears just one entry and absolutely nothing to do with Italia! Readers here beware. I think you might be spamming not showing a genuine interest?

      ReplyDelete

    I indulge my love of books with this blog and it makes it all worthwhile when you leave comments. I really am interested in what you think so do let me know. I have decided as the nature of this review blog makes for conversation in the comments, just to reply here and not individually, so please subscribe to comments or call back again to stay in the conversation. Thankyou for your continued support.